Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Happy New Year!

I have resolved to update this blog more frequently... I have heard from everyone that I am a slacker so I will attempt to write more. I've also resolved to get back into my healthy lifestyle. I was doing so well for awhile but then the holidays came and it was all downhill from there. I ahave to be healthy so I can serve so it's about time to get myself back on track. Emily and I are going to Holy Family University tomorrow morning to meet with the Athletic Director to have a gym orientation, then hopefully we'll figure out some kind of regular schedule. I'm really excited!!!

But enough of that boring stuff--- I hope that you all found a fun and safe way to usher in 2008!!!
Last Saturday evening Kathy, our outside contact person, took us to Longwood Gardens, a big consevatory filled with flowers and plants. During Christmas time, they decorate inside and outside with Christmas lights and poinsettias. We had been hearing about it and looking it up online and then Kathy offered to take us so we all went! It was so beautiful and a really great way to spend the evening! Afterwards we were taken to dinner and had such a great time just spending time with Kathy! She's such a blessing to our community!


Since last week, Michael was talking about our Christmas dinner and where he was taking us. Well, Thursday of last week he had this wonderful idea that he wouldn't tell us, which was yet another way to celebrate Christmas with his "Honey-bunnies" as he calls us (such an improvement from hussies :-) ). He requested that we made ourselves available Monday night (we had previously planned for our dinner to be on Tuesday night) as well, so because we basically do whatever he tells us, we cleared our schedules and at 8pm, we were ready for an adventure downtown!!! We walked down Broad Street in Center City (which is the Arts district) and he cut us off and went into a theater!!! We had no idea what we were in for until we got inside the theater and saw signs for STOMP! We had incredible seats and had the absolute best time!!! It was such a phenomenal show, so high-energy and we were all so impressed by the talent of the performers! For those of you not familiar with the show, there are about 7 percussionists that create music using various household items including trash cans, sinks, pipes, fire extinguishers and other stuff to make an incredible beat! It was so loud but one of those shows that you just get sucked in to!
Emily, Michael and I went back to Kensington while Maureen went up to Allentown with Ryan, her fiance. Emily and I went over to Jamie and Renee's to watch the ball drop and ring in the new year with some friends! It was so much fun and the perfect way to celebrate the New Year!
New Year's Day we had an early meal (11:30am-1:00pm) and then most of the Team went over to the Women's Center because they had an open house. It is the only time throughout the whole year when men are allowed inside. We had some small snacks before coming back here to nap. Because the three of us had been up late the night before celebrating, we decided we should get some rest before going out to dinner with Michael (yep, in addition to taking us to Stomp, he also brought us out for dinner!).
On another mystery ride, Michael took us over to New Jersey to a restaurant called Bahama Breeze (it's a chain so you may have heard of it before). It was a Carribbean restaurant with lots of delicious food! We ate lots but brought a lot back with us. When we got home, Michael gave us our presents to open which were animal slippers!!! (the ones with the dogs are my feet!) We got him "lounge pants" and a picture frame with pictures of us! He seemed to enjoy both, although he seemed slightly weirded out by the lounge pants... which was our goal!


So now that our Christmas celebrations are finally over, I am able to reflect on how incredibly blessed I am. Not only did I feel the love from my family back home, but when I returned to Philly, I was showered with it all over again. Between Michael and Kathy, we have been so spoiled by everyone here and I'm not quite sure what I did to deserve it, but I sure am grateful for all that I have been blessed with!
I am looking forward to the New Year! A lot will happen and a lot will change so I'm excited to see what's in store for me! I hope that you're all looking forward with hopeful hearts!!! Happy New Year!!!

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Happy New Year, Kate! Looking forward to reading and responding to your blogs throughout 2008.
Love, Auntie Kathy